Montag, 19. Juni 2017

Depeche Mode in Zurich, June 18 or takeover by Michael or 19 years ago

June 18, 1988 was an very important date in the history of Depeche Mode. 29 years ago they played the historical concert in the Rose Bowl Stadium, Pasadena, California. Concert 101.
The concert was filmed by Arthur Pennebaker and for all time the Rose Bowl Stadium is for every Depeche Mode fan a kind of pilgrimage.

I visited the Rose Bowl stadium in summer 2001. We got the possibility to walk in and we, my travel mate and I, was the only two persons in this big stadium. Great feeling, but without Depeche Mode.







The next picture show my friend Michael Pinzon with his family in front of the Rose Bowl.
Don't know, when the picture was taken, maybe 2012?
So know we are coming back to the present. 2010 I met Michael the first time in Milano. We were in the same hotel and went together with friends to the Depeche Mode concert in February 2010.
We met again in Paris, where Dave Gahan played 2015 with the Soulsavers.
He is my guest writer for the Zurich concert. A concert played 29 years later then the legendary 101 concert in Pasadena. Michael live near by Zurich, so I'm happy that he accepted the job.


And here is his report:
Depeche Mode Tour-Blog: Zurich, Stadium Letzigrund 18.6.2017 
Michael Pinzon for Claudia Schulzi

Finally, it was time, Depeche Mode be honoring Switzerland for a single concert on the "Global Spirit" summer tour.
I've been listening to the band since 1982, clung to the radio at the age of fifteen as they played live in Basel for the first time on 30.11.1984, and I was blown away since I saw them live the first time in Zurich, Hallenstadion on the "Black Celebration" tour at May 4, 1986.
31 years and 9 tours later my 58th concert is waiting:

The stadium is just 25km away from my home. A kind of home game.
Clear case, I took the opportunity and went with my wife Dominque, my sister-in-law Lydia and my two daughters Elodie (16) and Michelle (14) to their 5th concert on their 3rd DM tour. Mandatory dress code: T-shirt with the band meeting photo of Santa Barbara 2012.



I was especially pleased that the dear friends Thomas (Ohst) Ohstermann and Daniela Vorndran were lost in the "expensive" Switzerland. Ohst even celebrated his 150th DM concert! Let's also mention that Depeche Mode played exactly 29 years ago in the legendary Rose Bowl and inspired 80000 fans and let us take part with the film "101".

Ohst came directly speeded from Frankfurt , after a small snack at our home, we went by car to the park and ride and then by train to Zurich, after only a 10 minute walk, we were at 7 o'clock p.m. at the stadium.
We noticed the merchandise stand, which was completely lost and almost without visitors. Was it because the proud prices? 50 Swiss francs (46 Euro) for a T-Shirt! Not bad, so 35 Euro (CHF 39 .--) in Germany was a bargain.





The Algiers started when we were still standing outside. Depeche Mode and their supporting groups....that alone gives sufficient material to write books, some were loved and revered, others properly from the stage whistled ....  TheAlgiers wasn't mine and so we enjoyed the beautiful cloud-free heaven and the hot evening sun. Only at 7:45 o'clock p.m. we took our "usual spots" (at the left screen in the back third of the Front of the stage area 1). There we also met Dani Vorndran and her friend Annie. There was enough space for dancing and celebration, so everything was "ready for the revolution .....".


At 8:15 p.m. the famous "Revolution" of the Beatles sounded from the speakers and the screens went on, everyone was instantly clear it can only be seconds before Dave, Martin and Andy enter the stage.
Followed by their guest musicians, which Ohst lovingly calls jangle jellyfish ( Peter Gordeno) and drum clown ( Christian Eigner).
The 30,000 fans celebrated the appearance with frenetic applause. I think it was less, because there were still lots of free places in the ranks, but the press said "sold out 30000".

After  the first Hannover concert my expectations to the band and the audience were enormous. The band fulfilled the expectation completely, Dave was in a good mood and asked Christian Eigner several times for a drum solo, at the end of "I Feel You" Christian gave totally all. At all, Dave encouraged the in the beginning quiet Swiss audience to join in, which of course always succeeded. He could do what he wanted, the audience did everything he wanted.


The end of home was very special, the whole stadium continued to sing at the end. When Dave returned to the stage, he requested the band to continue supporting the audience while singing, which also worked wonderfully until Dave messed up the beat. A laugh from our side was certain to him.

We already know the setlist, and nothing has changed in Zurich. David Bowie's "Heroes", which was eliminated in Hannover II, was played again in Zurich, so Dave's voice is back to 100%. The free days, which he supposedly spent in New York, were good for him.


If it was still bright until the middle of the concert, the sun went down to the final on time and we could enjoy the whole light show at "Everything Counts". Even the bass was turned up, some people still needed their ear guards.



From "Wrong" it went off so right, and in my opinion unfortunately Dave does not sing the final lines during Martin's "too long" part. Does he want to save his voice or is it too exhausting, the , we will probably never know ....But he rapped again to the end of "Barrel of a Gun": "Don't push me, cause I'm close to the edge. I'm trying not to lose my head! "(Thanks Casi for the text)
At Martin's "Somebody" and the following "Walking in my shoes"  the stage screens fell out. But it did not harm the mood.

At "I feel you" Ohst and I did the same to Dave and Martin: head banging!!!!
And with "Personal Jesus" came the grand final. . And we sang and jumped one more time before we set of in light trance for the train station.









While My 3 Girls and I were already in bed at 12.15 a.m , Ohst still roared over the empty highway to Frankfurt home and arrived at point 3 o#clock a.m at home.
We were able to enjoy and celebrate a really nice concert with a good and happy audience and a band
in top form.


This is what the Swiss press said:
"Tagesanzeiger": "Depeche Mode played Zurich in trance".
"View": "Fresh and mobile as in the 80's"
"NZZ": "Dave Gahan in the best mood right from the start".

 Depeche Mode, is and remains for me the best band in the world!


Thank you Michael, I have nothing to add. Well done job!
Now I have to sleep, because after my work tomorrow the car is coming.... I have to get on board to Frankfurt.

Good night dear devotees!










Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen